Wednesday 3 November 2010

for one so small

One of the, perhaps unexpected, things I like about writing is the naming. I like browsing naming sites and making endless lists of names. If I get really into it, my characters will have second and third names and all that. Over the years I learned not to get too carried away, to not introduce characters with crazy names that are too outrageous for real life. Even though everything is possible in literature, I like to at least give my characters names that are somewhat realistic. Or just have one character with a name that isn't that regular. I love the name Alba (the time traveller's wife) and I think the name only works because the rest of the characters have regular names such as Henry and Claire. Over the years my taste in names has changed as well, which made me wonder if that's why teen moms give their kids lots of crazy names and older people choose names that are perhaps more boring.

On another hand, I'd like to pay tribute to the great Harry Mulisch (http://www.mulisch.nl/) passed away recently. He was one of the greatest authors of the 20th century and with his death comes the end of that century in some ways. I'd like to urge everyone to read something by him.

Also, I've begun to realize what living on your own really entails and I've stopped being so stressed about everything. I mean, I'm still stressed out a lot, but just a lot less. ;) If I don't do everything according to plan, I won't die. Seriously. It sounds obvious but it isn't always. I know where my priorities are: studying, writing, friends, family (which are really all equally important!). Studying is going good so far, I've had some pretty intense lectures which is what I've been wanting for a long time, so that's really good! I feel inspired to write again, which I really haven't in a long time, so I'm gonna try and find some time to brainstorm about characters, plots and all that jazz. I really really really want to feel inspired to write again. Not just short stuff, but I'd like to write something of about 20 pages or so. Something new, something with a bit of James Frey-melancholy and Niffenegger-eloquency. In Dutch, so that's something new too, when it comes to longer stories. I've been working on a story called Face Down for a bazillion years and I'm still in love with the characters but it really didn't work, so I haven't touched it in a year. Maybe I can translate the characters and use the plot for something new! Something exciting! I'm getting all excited while writing this, so that must mean something! The point is that Face Down was on the edge of moody and cliché and I really want to avoid cliche at all costs. I'll need beta-readers and tons of them.
So all in all, my plan for this winter is to outline my plot and characters. Besides moving, not failing any classes, having fun and all those other plans. ;)

love love love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment