Thursday 28 October 2010

it's been a hurricane

An hour ago a weight lifted off my shoulders. I finished my last assignment and my exam week is over! Phew I was seriously stressed out. There's still lots of things I could do in advance for next week -never a dull moment in a student's life!- but I'm just gonna reward myself with some down time.

I seriously envy those I graduated with that are now somewhere over the world, having a so-called sabbatical. Even though I think it's stupid, really. You're basically just being the white kid who hasn't ever faced anything and whose parents are paying for everything. Lots of people would kill for the opportunities you have and you just throw another year away like it's nothing. Wow. I can get so worked up over this. It's a different case when you're volunteering for something, working towards making the world a better place. But then again, I think the best way to help is to study and get some real knowledge and use that knowledge to help people. Become a doctor and save lives. Those people can build houses themselves. Become a promising PR-person and get people to donate tons of money.
And I know there are tons of pros. Awareness being a first. But I'm just sick of all those people who are so full of themselves and how sophisticated they are. And what travellers they are.
Get real and face it: all you're doing is blowing money your parents worked hard on, on a one-year vacation.

But yes, I am envious. Who doesn't want a one-year vacation? And besides that, I have tons of ideas that would get me overseas. I'd like to go to the New York Film Academy and take a screenwriting course. I'd like to volunteer for TWLOHA. I'd like to study Tolstoj in Moscow and Dante in Rome. I'd love to study Afrikaans in South-Africa. Or let me just get my driver's license and I'll travel all across the USA, On the Road-esque.

I am awfully shallow and perhaps a hypocrite. My parents pay my rent and the government pays for my food and my travel expenses. I go to class and I am a teacher's worst nightmare. I question all you say and more. I'm in-your-face loud and I try too hard to be funny.

Really, it's great. I absolutely love university. I love what it's doing to my brain and I love being pushed to do greater things. These first few weeks have been a hurricane. I've had to adjust to a new way of life, to different people, a different city, to lots of academical pressure. And right when everything seemed to go wrong it turned right around and I was catapulted into this new way of dealing with it.
I may not be swimming with dolphins and meeting people of all ethnicities right now, and that's a shame really, but I'm alive and I feel infinite.

No comments:

Post a Comment